Landed in Riyadh and through security by 4am. Airports need to be rated by the ratio of travel time to time spent waiting around before you can be lazily waved on. Picked up by a Bangladeshi taxi driver who had been waiting for hours. Chatted about cricket anf how crap Saudi is to live in. Currently in a soulless global chain hotel failing to sleep.
I really need to read William Gibson again…
View of the dome
Santa Croce, Florence
Slap them all in togas instead of suits and it would perfect
It also follows a pyramidal composition!
However, I would argue that this picture is more Baroque than Renaissance. Notable features of Baroque art are:
- Images are direct, obvious, and dramatic.
- Tries to draw the viewer in to participate in the scene.
- Depictions feel physically and psychologically real. Emotionally intense.
- Extravagant settings and ornamentation.
- Dramatic use of color.
- Dramatic contrasts between light and dark, light and shadow.
- As opposed to Renaissance art with its clearly defined planes, with each figure placed in isolation from each other, Baroque art has continuous overlapping of figures and elements.
- Common themes: grandiose visions, ecstasies and conversions, martyrdom and death, intense light, intense psychological moments.
In the baroque, artists strove to evoke aesthetic responses. Now I’m not talking about aesthetic as in “oh thats pretty” I’m talking about aesthetic like that punch in the gut reaction you get to something.
One of the ways this was done was through the depiction of intense emotion which we see in this photograph. compare to Bernini
The picture also displays a wonderful use of chiaroscuro (an effect of contrasted light and shadow created by light falling unevenly or from a particular direction on something) a style used extensively by Caravaggio and other Baroque artists.
I’ve been busy moving out of the city flat. She’s been busy with the Autumn honey harvest and her Dad visiting to help with that.
I’ve jusy been asked to go to Saudi Arabia for another week ASAP.
I’m going to eat fish and chips in the empty flat and feel sorry for myself for a bit. Cya later, internet.
William Trost Richards (1833-1905)
Oil on canvas
Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts